Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise
1 head garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2/3 cup light mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Turn garlic onto its side, and slice about 1/4 inch off the top (pointy end) of the garlic, to expose the tops of the cloves inside.
- Place garlic atop a sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle olive oil over garlic, then S&P. Wrap foil over top of garlic and place in oven proof dish (optional) and bake for 45 minutes.
- Unwrap foil, then squeeze garlic cloves out of papery skins. Combine with mayonnaise and S&P to taste.
Note: Light mayonnaise is my favorite. Low-fat is not good, regular is a little rich. I find "light" just right.
Shrimp and Crab Cakes
1/4 cup onion, chopped finely
1/4 cup celery, chopped finely
1/2 pound shrimp, coarsely chopped
1/2 pound crabmeat, drained, shell pieces removed
1/4 cup (1 oz) grated parmesan
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites and 1 whole egg beaten
1 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs, or substitute un-seasoned bread crumbs.
- Add a small amount of olive oil to a pan and saute onion and celery for 2-3 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Combine shrimp, crab, cheese, salt, eggs and vegetables. Stir, then add breadcrumbs.
- Form patties, either large (about 4 cakes) or bite-sized (up to 10-12) cakes.
- Add a small drizzle of oil to pan, and saute cakes until lightly browned, turning once. 3-4 minutes for small cakes; 5-6 minutes for large.