This is a simple recipe to put together, but is definitely better if you can let it marinate for at least a day. The olives will keep for about a week refrigerated.
- 1.5 to 2 C brine cured olives - any variety, to your taste
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (from one medium, or half a large orange)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Gently rinse the olives under cool water. This allows you to better control the flavors, rather than the taste of what the producer used to brine the olives.
- Toast fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium heat. As soon as you can smell the seeds, remove them from the heat. Gently crush the fennel seeds.
- Smash and slice the garlic clove.
- Grate the orange zest with a zester or microplane grater. If you don't have such a grater, use a peeler to take a 1 inch by 3 inch peel off the orange, then cut away the white pith on the back of the peel using a sharp knife. Then slice the peel into the thinnest strips you can create.
- Combine all the ingredients, and add a turn or two of fresh ground black pepper.
Olives should marinate for a full day in advance, if possible