A 4 pound boneless pork loin roast, butterflied
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly, fronds reserved and chopped
2 pounds ground pork
2 tablespoons fennel seed
2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup bread crumbs
2 large eggs, beaten
3-4 red onions, cut in half
1. Lay the pork out flat and sprinkle with S&P. Let rest at room temp during next steps.
2. Heat about ¼ cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and fennel slices and cook until brown and slightly carmelized, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the pork, fennel seeds, 1 tablespoons of ground black pepper, the rosemary and garlic and cook for 10 minutes. Let cool.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Add a tablespoon or so of fennel fronds to the sausage mixture along with the breadcrumbs and eggs. Stir to combine, then spread over the pork, leaving a 1 to 1-1/2 inch edge along one long side.
6. Roll the meat up jelly roll fashion and tie with butcher’s twine.
7. Place the red onions in a roasting pan, and place the pork atop the onions. Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until internal temperature is 135 degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes.
8. Add olive oil and a squeeze of lemon to top of roast, then slice. Serve with the carmelized red onions.